Hi guys, your friendly Executive Director here. I wish I had better news to report right now, but everyone keeps asking and we've been holding off on news until we know more about what's going on.
The short version is that pretty much EVERY road bump that could be thrown at us once the permits were done for the new building has been thrown at us. I promise when this is all done, I will do the most epic write up if you're curious because I think it's important to recognize both that this was not an easy project for those who think "anyone can do something if they try hard enough" and also to give as much recognition to the people that helped us navigate every bump, and there were (and continue to be) so, so many. None of this would be possible without a little help from friends.
We'd originally hoped to be open by September for the new Cal Poly year, but that came and went, but we believed we were mostly on track until a couple weeks ago when it became clear we were not.
I do NOT have an opening date for the new gym, nor a closing date for the old one. We want to keep SLO Op open as long as possible so we don't have a huge break because we need your guys' membership money to keep running while this all goes on.
What we're waiting on:
- Some really important supplies and processes and plans didn't come together correctly and we're having to correct them. Some supplies are difficult to source and that may be the reason for a delay (really, it's funny, the whole gym could be ready but something like a specific, fancy heater that we'll never use could mean we can't open (happened to us at the Santa Maria gym).
- We have to close SLO Op when it's time to install the foam in the bouldering area as we need to move that foam over to the new gym. We don't want to install the foam now because that just means SLO Op is closed and the new gym's not ready. We've got to get all the other stuff like bathrooms and offices ready to go, and even then, I'm not sure how the city will like us opening only half the building (we're working on it).
- There was a delay with the roof installation, which caused Walltopia to be delayed putting up the walls on the rope side. We can theoretically open the bouldering side when the above is finished, but not 100% on that.
Anyway, that's where we're at. Staff is ready to go, we just have to make sure the construction is. This is a major project where we went from empty building to half of it with a new roof, three stories of epic stuff, and totally new floor layouts for things. It's a big project and each little part has to be perfect to go off. Unfortunately it wasn't.
We've been through this before with The Pad in Santa Maria, and in the end, we all know it will be worth it, but we can't give you any sweet deets. Wish we could. The vague not knowing bothers all of us, contractors, staff, members. We promise to continue to update you - Facebook and Instagram get little updates frequently, so check there first. I just shared a tour with you guys of the current state so go check it out!