Now hiring: Climbing Instructor (Henderson)
We’re a rock climbing gym looking for a Climbing Instructor at our Henderson, NV gym, but what we really want are people who recognize that stepping into our communities has the power to change lives. Instructors do not need to be peppy and upbeat 100% of the day, but they should exude a sense of warmth and be comfortable engaging diverse populations both at the front desk and on the floor. You will be the face of our gyms and be working in a team-centered, dynamic environment.
Experience in climbing is a requirement. We are a gym founded by outdoor climbers and we believe in getting outside to climb just as much as we believe in the indoor gym community. How hard you climb is not a factor in your job, but you should have enough experience to speak the lingo, make safety calls, be familiar with gear and equipment, and be confident in your ability to learn and adapt. Above all else, you need to have a strong desire to be part of The Pad community.
To build immersive experiences, spaces, and opportunities through climbing, community, fitness, and love
You will be responsible for:
- Teaching the various instruction classes
- Structuring private lessons
- Coordinating and teaching private lessons
- Helping coach the Youth Team and picking up open shifts as needed
- Helping out with official gym competitions
- Executing belay and lead tests as needed
- Maintaining inventory of climbing equipment and regular inspections
- Attending monthly meetings with the Programs Director
- Working as a member of a team, as you will interact with other crew members as well as other department teams
- Actively seeking new opportunities to improve self and the community at large
- Performing basic sales and computer software operations
You will be accountable for:
- Ensuring gym policies regarding certifications are met (for example: members and guests are required to wait 24 hours before testing after a lesson)
- Handling participant concerns
- Maintaining safe practices in the facility
- Acting as a representative of the community and making a genuine effort to get to know and support members and fellow employees
- Confidently communicating with supervisors and peers about gym and your own needs, improvements, and goals
- Communicating with your supervisor about desired schedule or time off
- Properly clocking in and out using When I Work
- Checking and replying to all messages and updates through The Pad’s channels of communication each time you work
- Completing initial training board via Asana within 30 days of hire
You will be consulted for:
- Policy development and leadership strategy
- Staffing and community needs
- Scheduling and curriculum updates
- Construction projects and space usage as they pertain to your programs
You will be informed about:
- Policy and procedure updates
- In gym events and competitions
- Changes specific to your department within the facility
- Minimum of 2 years experience in all aspects of climbing
- Ability to confidently climb V5/5.11+ (preferred)
- Weekend availability
- Confidence in standing up to strangers and those you care about when it comes to following rules and upholding the values of the company
- Genuine interest in other people’s experiences
- Communicate clearly with peers and the community
- Experience with speaking to or working in a dynamic environment
- Able to tie knots and move across uneven surfaces and stairways
- Able to lift 50 pounds
- Lover of learning and a deep interest in improving things for those around them
- Friendly, enthusiastic attitude, can exhibit warmth and empathy
- Tech savvy enough to use and apply a wide variety of applications, including When I Work, Google Drive and the Google Suite, E-mail, Approach, and Asana
- Uphold company values and use the mission statement to guide decisions
- Code Word: Chicken Wing
What we have to offer:
- Growth opportunities
- Paid bi-monthly on the 15th and last day of the month
- $11.25 – $15.25 per hour NV/ 15.50 – 19.50 per hour CA assuming 10-15 hours per week to start, the opportunity for more hours and growth a possibility
- Accrued paid time off
- Transfer and promotional opportunities
- Gym membership for self plus immediate family
- Retail and merchandise discounts
We are an equal-opportunity employer that welcomes diverse voices and experiences aligned with the vision of our organization: Climbing. Community. Fitness. Love.
Don’t send that resume just yet!
We don’t want your resume, we don’t want your cover letter, and we don’t want phone calls and emails!
Why? We at the Pad feel that the employment process is broken and we want to address these issues and hopefully inspire others to, as well.
Why is it broken?
- Applicants are judged on their ability to make a fancy-looking document
- Applicants are judged on their writing ability when that may not be a requirement of their position
- Applicants are unfairly judged based on their employment history, success in describing it, and even by their own name and location.
- Applicants are encouraged to go above and beyond, reaching out to HR and supervisors, and writing long essays, all of which is an emotional drain on everyone
- Salary, benefits, time expectations, and even physical ability requirements are either omitted or over-inflated.
Our process eliminates this and is designed to test applicants in as little time as possible to see if they will be a good fit. Through our process, we are able to:
- Educate you about the organization you are applying for so you know if it is a good fit or not for you.
- Check for the level of attention to detail we want to see prior to hiring.
- Check for level of readiness for the position
- Show us your personality
- Take a minimum of time and energy for our HR team AND you
Please note – if you send resumes, cover letters, etc without being asked, we will NOT review them.