Now hiring: Youth Programs Manager – Rec Teams (SLO)
We’re a rock climbing gym looking for a Youth Programs Manager – Recreational Teams at our San Luis Obispo gym, but what we really need is someone who recognizes that stepping into our community has the power to change lives. As a manager, you will be setting your team’s expectations and holding them accountable to the company’s values. You will be the face of our gyms and be working in a team-centered, dynamic environment.
To build immersive experiences, spaces, and opportunities through climbing, community, fitness, and love.
You will be responsible for:
- Floating between team practices and supporting coaches as they train their teams
- Hiring, training, terminating and, most importantly, developing coaches, assistant coaches, and camp coordinators into mentors and teachers
- Helping clean and break down any equipment used for activities as well as generally helping keep the gym clean and organized
- Scheduling coaches to ensure proper coverage of all classes and practices
- Working with coaches to update and create new ideas for team curriculum to keep practices fun and engaging for participants
- Meeting with gym leaders to discuss any ideas, issues, and improvement ideas and stepping in to help with other departments as needed
- Answering inter gym correspondence as well as addressing member or guest concerns
- Performing basic sales and computer software operations
- Stepping in as needed to cover any gaps in scheduling or absences
- Conducting belay and lead tests as needed
You will be accountable for:
- Auditing coaches to ensure all safety policies are being followed and curriculum is consistent
- Ensuring the monthly budgets set by Headquarters are being followed and fulfilling the needs of staff, gym, and community
- Handling parent and team member concerns outside of normal team business, ensuring each team’s coach follows through with parents on the following topics: canceled practices, special team events, and relevant administrative items, as well as any concerns that class participants may have
- Maintaining an up-to-date copy of guardian contact information that the coaching team can access.
- Following up with coaches to make sure they are regularly providing communication with teams and provide tangible feedback on communication issues
- Helping children to develop growth, development, and independence
- Maintaining safe practices in facility and keeping team practice sessions at the gym organized and productive
- Implementing programs as determined by Headquarters, improving the course work and your teaching ability through feedback with youth families and your supervisor
- Regularly scheduling check-ins with team members and helping them lead to the best of their ability
- Scheduling appropriate amount of practices and coaches for each team, adding and subtracting based on the needs of the business and expansion of programs
- Serving as gym leadership and working in a collaborative environment to uphold the company mission and setting good examples for other staff
- Acting as a representative of the community and making a genuine effort to get to know and support members and fellow employees
- Confidently communicating with supervisors and peers about gym and your own needs, improvements, and goals
You will be consulted for:
- Policy development
- Leadership strategy
- Program curriculum development
- Staffing needs
- Community needs
- Construction projects and space usage
You will be informed about:
- Policy and procedure updates
- Safety protocol and training requirements
- Preferred 2 years experience in coaching youth teams
- Preferred 1 year of proven leadership experience in any field
- Comfortable engaging diverse populations on our teams and on the floor.
- Genuine interest in other people’s experiences
- Desire to work with young children and their parents/caregivers
- Ability to communicate clearly with peers and the community
- Experience with speaking to or working in a dynamic environment
- Confidence in standing up to strangers and those you care about when it comes to following rules and upholding the values of the company
- Ability to tie knots and move across uneven surfaces and stairways
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
- Work as a member of a team, you will interact with other crew members as well as other department teams
- Lover of learning and a deep interest in improving things for those around them
- Friendly, enthusiastic attitude, can exhibit warmth and empathy
- Tech savvy enough to use and apply a wide variety of applications, including Word, Google Drive, Gmail, and Asana
- Codeword: Dyno
What we have to offer:
- Growth opportunities
- Paid bi-monthly on the 15th and last day of the month
- CA: $18 – $21/NV: $13.25 – $16.25 per hour, assuming 15-20 hours per week to start
- Accrued paid time off
- Flexible hours
- Transfer and promotional opportunities
- Gym membership for self plus immediate family
- Retail and merchandise discounts
We are an equal-opportunity employer that welcomes diverse voices and experiences aligned with the vision of our organization: Climbing. Community. Fitness. Love.
Don’t send that resume just yet!
We don’t want your resume, we don’t want your cover letter, and we don’t want phone calls and emails!
Why? We at the Pad feel that the employment process is broken and we want to address these issues and hopefully inspire others to, as well.
Why is it broken?
- Applicants are judged on their ability to make a fancy-looking document
- Applicants are judged on their writing ability when that may not be a requirement of their position
- Applicants are unfairly judged based on their employment history, success in describing it, and even by their own name and location.
- Applicants are encouraged to go above and beyond, reaching out to HR and supervisors, and writing long essays, all of which is an emotional drain on everyone
- Salary, benefits, time expectations, and even physical ability requirements are either omitted or over-inflated.
Our process eliminates this and is designed to test applicants in as little time as possible to see if they will be a good fit. Through our process, we are able to:
- Educate you about the organization you are applying for so you know if it is a good fit or not for you.
- Check for the level of attention to detail we want to see prior to hiring.
- Check for level of readiness for the position
- Show us your personality
- Take a minimum of time and energy for our HR team AND you
Please note – if you send resumes, cover letters, etc without being asked, we will NOT review them.